Nowadays, working in hybrid mobile application development makes life easier for developers as they are able to write once and build mobile applications that run on the main platforms with no extra effort. The application will run on Android, Windows phone, iOS and the code can be reused for Progressive Web Applications and even desktop applications. In this post, we show a use case of the development of an hybrid application using cutting-edge technologies. The ultimate goal is to build a client side mobile app for the Simple Web Crawler App.
In this second blog, we would like to share with you what we have learned, the general knowledge and some useful good practices when working with hybrid mobile application development
It does not take long when diving into hybrid app development to realize that you cannot go very far, without using good frameworks. You could see that when you start dealing with issues among which: data binding, form and input handlings, internalizations. Development from scratch here, could be very tedious, error-prone, and a real nightmare…
Client side framework
- Some free ones: Angular.js  from Google, seems to be the most famous in that category. It relies itself on TypeScript. We also have Vue.js.
- Some proprietary ones: Sencha Touch, seems leading the way for enterprise mobile app development.
- Ionic.io which includes its own ready to use UI/UX widgets, and is built upon Angular.js framework’s components.
- Onsen UI  which client-side-app-framework agnostic, it can be combined with Angular.js , Vue. Js, jquery, or even Ionic.
Building native mobile app from an hybrid one
- PhoneGap, which run exclusively on mac but target many platforms
Some recommended Tools
- Editors: Visual Studio Code
- IDE: Visual Studio
- Debugger and emulator: Monaca Debugger
- App testing framework: Selenium 
- Many other stuffs
Here we list some good practices when choosing the environments and the templates for your project.
Using of preconfigured environments, case of Monaca.io
Monaca is the most open hybrid app development platform available and ready to be immediately plugged into your existing workflow and development environment. From Cloud IDE, CLI to debugger and remote online build, everything you need for your hybrid app development is here.
For example, for our Client App, we choosed the following technologies with Monanca.io :
- Client side framework: Angular.js
- UI/Ux components : Onsen.ui
- Editor/IDE : Visual Studio Code
- Debugging: Monaca debugger
- Remote building and deploying: Monaca Cloud,
- Source control: Monaca Local Kit 
Using of existing templates
There are existing preconfigured templates that combine all the basic technologies you would like to use. Many examples can be found publicly on GitHub [8, 9].